5 Filters

Can Keats be taught at all?

… interesting post GK. my only experience of Michael Poynder was Pi In The Sky. This book contained myriad laughable claims, the one that jumped the shark was dolmens being the shape they are, resembling the Greek letter pi, because they were signalling (something or other ludicrous which I can’t remember) to extraterrestrial overlords.

For a start the Greek letter came substantially after dolmen building had been discontinued. The pi shape is merely a box without a bottom left behind when the earth/cairn is uncovered.

I did wonder if the whole thing was a joke to see how credulous readers are, hence the punning title.

Maybe I should give it another chance.

Give it another chance, all of us make those leaps from time to time it’s part of we do…there are inaccuracies in my work…but I rather like to think of myself as a member of a team not an “individuated ideologue”… Michael’s dead now…but the book is still essential reading (esp. “earth stars” re: seismology and cosmology), … the dowsing is certainly not laughable (imho), .

G

Nb. I’d recommend “The Thirteenth Sign” by James Vogh over the Poynder to start with… (see #Cooobrick post), …

The notion re: the #PythagoreanBrotherhood is that “geo”-“metry” evolved from “astrologomal” observation…

1 Like

Thanks for the tips, and for reminding me to be open minded. Speculation can seem bizarre but that’s how knowledge is acquired.

I guess I’m on the cusp between ‘nuts and bolts’ and the esoteric schools, but these dualisms are mere artifice. Things v processes. Nouns v verbs. Etc.

I tried dowsing once, at a tomb called The Chestnuts, on private land in the Medway Valley. The lovely woman who owned the land gave a quick demo and then left me to it. Not sure what the rods were responding to but there was definitely something going on.

2 Likes

Ahh Karen, you’ve been 131’d! I can empathise - I saw the lad talking at an ‘Off the Shelf’ event on the back of its publication - he seemed to have difficulty moving his mouth, and expressing himself with his typical drawly eloquence - - I spoke to him afterwards - I tried to find his sparkling eyes but he’s perma-shaded nowadays! I love the fellow.

The lines are from Socrates Mine Enemy - it was published in the Jehovahkill booklet - there’s a few little poetic gems in there…

…Ancient History - I can’t contain ya
I got Megalithomania!

2 Likes

GKH, I’ve got a smaller version sitting on my lap as I type this. Her name’s Herricka (it’s a long story) and she is demi-sauvage. Herricka adopted me just over ten years ago now. Herricka was one of four kittens born at the back of our barns. Her mother was a totally wild cat - you couldn’t get anywhere near the mother without being clawed or bitten. The four kittens, though, were really friendly. The largest of them (now sitting on my lap) I assumed to be a male cat. I called the cat ‘Herrick’ because at the time I was writing a book about the life and poetry of Robert Herrick.

The following winter, during a wild and stormy night, Herrick gave birth to kittens on my bed, and thus ‘Herrick’ the cat got renamed as Herricka.

Herricka is still sitting on my lap as I finish this post, and she waves a paw.

3 Likes

I try to avoid rod dowsing and use metals and/or crystals as “bobs” (pendulums), on chains …otherwise (for “ley” water energies -and others-), I use me…my own aura (although now days I don’t like to go out without at least one crystal on me -wearing one on long journeys-, and like to have them to use when necessary), … see these blog posts for the sort of thing I mean (esp. photos); “Converted to residential use “without benefit of clergy” (as the saying goes and whilst eschewing any sectarian notions), and a shiny new sculpture “sealed” its fate!”: https://www.arafel.co.uk/2019/12/journey-man-walkinginthewildwestend.html & “Shutter telegraph machines were vertical wooden frames with 6 shutters within them, designed by the Reverend Lord George Murray”: https://www.arafel.co.uk/2020/08/walking-in-wild-west-end-pt-2_18.html #TheDutchmans

The Tatchbury Mt. story is fun (see “oldest boat in the world”), shame about the house!

FYI: https://www.arafel.co.uk/2020/09/walking-in-wild-west-end-pt-3.html

Where are you situated? I’ll tell you a funny story about being “mugged” by a tennis ball that could support itself on the hairs which stood out at right angles to its body…in the middle of nowhere (just on the edge of the Usk Reservoir land -outside-), I was totally alone (the flying heavy mob having not turned up yet -Iraq 1-), second time I’d done the jaunt (from valley circle to upper circles -passing the standing stones et.al-), walking to circle site no:1 on the edge of the silly spruce plantations…and I heard this noise…a hissing and caterwauling of Brobdingnagian proportions, I looked toward the tiny clearance at the bottom of the (silly), tree line (Dad helped with reintroducing the Welsh Oaks), to see (like I said), a tennis ball sized face (there wasn’t much else), “gobbing” G full in the eyes…my jaw dropped, I froze and sort of tentatively looked around to see who else might be attracting the opprobrium…there were none…the noise did not stop…and I remained paralysed… Whilst I was in this state two ears emerged as shadow above the tennis ball’s head and slowly resolved into the form of a large tufted eared tabby, evidently the combatants mother, mother cat looked at me, regarded her off-spring (almost indulgently and with the trace of a smile on her face), and looked back at me…then, without a sound, they disappeared back into the silly spruce plantation…

G

3 Likes

Thanks Si, found it, yes, some great liner notes in Jehovahkill. JC is a national treasure. It’s my life’s ambition to hear even one in ten of the bands in The Copendium.

We’d sing this one when stuck behind a caravan in the years before the kids discovered self-consciousness…

Driving on the fast side of slow
It’s so annoying for the other guy
Driving on the fast side of slow
Speeding up to 45 then slowing down
Braking for no reason at all
When the sign reads “30,” drive at 25,
Sunday driving 7 days a week, oh no,
And driving on the fast side of slow.

1 Like

"New UN Report Finds Migratory Species Are Likely Among the Most Vulnerable to Plastic Pollution It confirms #PlasticPollution impacts land & freshwater CMS-protected species in Asia-Pacific https://cms.int/en/news/new-un-report-finds-migratory-species-are-likely-among-most-vulnerable-plastic-pollution

Report is part of

@UNEP

CounterMeasure II Project": https://twitter.com/BonnConvention/status/1432577546185584642

1 Like

Shocking facts and figures @GKH though I laughed hollowly when the time-honoured phrase “more research is needed” cropped up.

I know of a small group of women who make sanitary pads by hand, using repurposed textiles. The idea, of course, is to encourage a switch away from the “flush it and forget it” mentality. (This is based, at least in part, on carefully curated messages by manufacturers promulgating self-disgust as the driver for sales of BodyForm and so on.)

At a recent event the organiser was taken to task for her publicity materials which, in several places, use the word “women” e.g. “women find our pads comfortable…”. Could the text not be edited to avoid the unfortunate transphobic undertone? Apparently ‘clients’ of this service, which I have no qualms about naming, might be alienated if they feel that the pads are not designed with the needs of “our cohort that menstruates” in mind. https://www.porchlight.org.uk/

I guess teaching Keats, and anything of enduring quality and/or beauty, pales into insignificance when there is pronoun zealotry to drum into the minds of the young.

Now line up for your jabs children, may as well poison your bodies along with your minds.

Arseholes, the lot of them.

2 Likes

The Hill of Dreams still having its way then!

Have you seen this? Our pasts catching up with us (as they will re: nuclear waste -see environment category re: Blue Hydrogen-), quote; "Two months ago, a female orca named Tahlequah captured the world’s attention by carrying the body of her dead calf for 17 days. Now, a second orca from the same group—a 3-year-old female named Scarlet—has also likely died; she was incredibly emaciated over the summer, and hasn’t been seen for three weeks. Her death means that this community of orcas, known as the southern residents, now includes just 74 survivors—a worrying 30-year low. The collapse of the salmon that these animals eat is likely the main reason for their decline. But they’re also facing other major threats, including extremely high levels of human-made toxins in their bodies.

One class of such chemicals, known as polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), are known to cause cancer, suppress the immune system, disrupt hormonal signals, and impair reproduction. Based on everything scientists have learned about their health effects, Jean-Pierre Desforges from Aarhus University and Ailsa Hall from the University of St. Andrews calculated how these chemicals will affect the world’s killer whales—and their prognosis is not pretty. They estimated that even in the absence of any other threats, PCBs alone will probably cause the collapse or severe decline of 10 out of the 19 orca populations they studied within the next century—the southern residents included.

“Of course, that population is also struggling with limited food,” says Desforges. “But based on our simulations, the PCB effect alone should put them in the risky category. If you add additional stressors, you can only imagine what would happen.”*

PCBs were heavily manufactured in the 20th century. They’re stable, heat-resistant, and electrically insulating, which made them ideal for use in coolants, flame retardants, lubricants, paints, adhesives, and many other industrial products. They also turned out to be incredibly toxic, and most countries banned their use and production several decades ago. But such measures came too late: The same stability that made PCBs so useful also makes them incredibly persistent pollutants.

For decades, they leached into the oceans. Plankton ingested them, fish consumed the plankton, and marine mammals ate the fish. With each successive tier of the food web, these substances become more concentrated. Killer whales, being at the very top, have the highest levels ever recorded in any animal. Populations that eat predatory fish, like the southern residents, or marine mammals, like the neighboring Bigg’s killer whales (or transients), are among the most contaminated cetaceans in the world. The orcas’ bodies are full of pollutants that are far more persistent than the animals themselves are.

For perspective, early studies showed that ringed seals stopped reproducing when PCB levels in their blubber reached 60 to 70 parts per million (ppm). The southern residents have up to 83 ppm, and the Bigg’s have between 100 and 300 ppm on average. A female orca named Lulu who died in Scotland last year had 957 ppm. Another female who stranded in Washington State in 2002 had 1,300 ppm.

“Many of us who have watched this story unfold over decades have spent many years waiting for the moment when tissue PCB concentrations finally start declining. Thirty-five years after the PCB ban, we are still waiting,” says Brenda Jensen from Hawaii Pacific University. “The reality is that these chemicals are, for timescales relevant to killer-whale life spans, permanently entrained in the marine food web.”

Using decades’ worth of measurements, Desforges, Hall, and their colleagues created a simulation that predicts how different orca populations will grow or shrink, based on their usual rates of survival and reproduction, and how those rates might change depending on the PCB levels in their bodies.

They found that the eight most heavily exposed populations are likely to collapse completely. These include orcas from Greenland, the Canary Islands, Hawaii, Japan, Brazil, Gibraltar, and the U.K., as well as the Bigg’s. Two more populations—Alaskan transients, and the southern residents—will be less severely affected, but are still likely to decline significantly. It’s no coincidence, says Desforges, that many of these populations are already very small, with just a few dozen individuals remaining.

[ What the grieving orca tells us ]

Skeptics might note that one crucial component of the team’s predictions—how different PCB doses affect reproduction—hinges on data that doesn’t come from orcas. “You can imagine how hard it’d be to do a study on PCBs and reproductive rates in killer whales. We can’t exactly expose them in a lab,” says Desforges. “We tried to take the best available data for the most relevant species.” In this case, that’s the mink—a weasel that, though much smaller than an orca, is also an aquatic, fish-eating predator, and has long been used by toxicologists as a stand-in for other marine mammals.

This caveat aside, the team’s gloomy predictions are, if anything, conservative ones. They only considered PCBs’ effects on reproduction and immunity, and not their tendency to wreak havoc on hormones or cause cancers. They didn’t consider groups whose PCB levels haven’t been measured, like the Gulf of Mexico orcas, whose numbers have fallen from 277 in the early ’90s to just 22 now.

And the team’s predictions clearly reflect the reproductive problems that scientists have noticed among the world’s orcas. In many populations, miscarriages are common, and newborn calves often die. The southern residents haven’t had a surviving newborn since 2015, and the U.K. population hasn’t had one for 25 years. “These populations haven’t recovered even after things like whaling stopped,” says Desforges. “They’re stagnating when they should be growing again.”

Levels of PCBs in the environment dropped after the near-global bans of the 1970s and ’80s, but since the ’90s, they have stabilized. The chemicals aren’t being produced anymore, but they’re still present in old equipment, paints, and other materials. Around 80 percent of these old stocks have yet to be destroyed. “Anything built in the ’60s and ’70s, there’s a good chance that they contain PCBs, and if they’re improperly disposed in a landfill, those PCBs have a chance of entering the environment,” says Desforges. “And once there, it’s extremely hard to get rid of.”

That’s especially true for killer whales. For them, PCBs are an intergenerational curse that, once placed, cannot be lifted. The chemicals dissolve readily in fat, which means they not only accumulate in an orca’s blubber, but also in its milk. Through milk, a mother orca can pass up to 70 percent of her PCB burden to her calf—a toxic heirloom that then becomes concentrated in a much smaller body. “It’s a major issue, and one that will very much impede any effort we have to reduce PCBs in the environment,” says Desforges. “That transfer will keep happening, whatever we do to clean up contaminated hot spots.”

“There is no way to hook a killer whale, let alone a whole marine ecosystem, up to some sort of dialysis machine to filter PCBs out of the tissues,” adds Jensen. “Even animals that die allow the PCB-associated fat to cycle back into the marine food web.” The only option, beyond destroying PCB stocks, is to reduce the other threats that orcas face. “An analogy for this is human cancer risk. If you find out that you are genetically predisposed to some form of cancer, you might be motivated to reduce other risk factors in your life that you can control by quitting smoking or exercising more. Now that we understand that these whales carry such a burden, perhaps we can compensate by working to provide an environment that can sustain their energetic needs to reproduce.”

PCBs are just one class of persistent pollutant, and one that’s been thoroughly studied. “We know they’re bad,” says Desforges. “But we know a lot less about many of the newer compounds that are replacing them, new surfactants and flame retardants. We have to find them and work out what they’re doing to the animals.”": https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/09/pcbs-are-killing-killer-whales/571474/

*italics mine.

Makes one concerned about any possible cryptid populations, we have no idea what we may have done (or still be doing), to them; you must see this (thank you Bill Shatner -who first screened it on t.v-): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1G76AyW1ag

Munching a baby Manatee no less (must be like foie-gras for sea -“serpents” -Manatees take a long time to be born and to mature-), “we” wondered what predated them!

“Prehistoric people would have gazed upon herds of gazelle and other wild animals; gently flowing rivers, which attracted migrating geese and ducks; fruit and nut trees; and rippling fields of wild barley and wild wheat varieties such as emmer and einkorn. “This area was like a paradise,” says Schmidt, a member of the German Archaeological Institute. Indeed, Gobekli Tepe sits at the northern edge of the Fertile Crescent—an arc of mild climate and arable land from the Persian Gulf to present-day Lebanon, Israel, Jordan and Egypt—and would have attracted hunter-gatherers from Africa and the Levant. And partly because Schmidt has found no evidence that people permanently resided on the summit of Gobekli Tepe itself, he believes this was a place of worship on an unprecedented scale—humanity’s first “cathedral on a hill.”” Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple? | History | Smithsonian Magazine

Gobekli Tepe4

Artistic History? Top 10 Oldest Art Ever Discovered

1 Like

Graham Hancock is full of fascinating ideas about Gobekli. A feast, if you haven’t already looked into it. His vids are probably the best way. He does a nice presentation in a long Joe Rogan interview, just the two of them. The basic idea is that the GT settlement was started by people from a lost civilisation, fleeing their ruined homeland, and trying to give as much of their knowledge as they could to gatherer-hunters living in Anatolia, because the Fertile Crescent lent itself very well to the agriculture they wanted to teach.

All this brought on by the upheavals of the Younger Dryas incident, probably begun - and ended - by Earth-impacts of two different fragments of a disintegrated long-orbit comet; through whose orbit, btw, the Earth still passes, twice a year… :scream: :grinning:

1 Like

Trigger Warning: materialist heresy follows :grinning:

GT sounds a fascinating site but yikes: the article is icky, and so riddled with White Guy/Christian ideology.

Not sure if it’s School Of Churnalism conditioning that encourages the hilarious phrasing, or the “gotta tell a good story” style of Curatorship which I imagine is the Smithsonian House Style.

The melodrama reinforces the idea that The Past is an exotic otherworldly Thing-In-Itself best left to We Experts. “You may file past the exhibits respectfully. Here on the left observe with awe the amazing Hottentot Venus.”

partly because Schmidt has found no evidence that people permanently resided on the summit of Gobekli Tepe itself, he believes this was a place of worship on an unprecedented scale—humanity’s first “cathedral on a hill"

The mound is self-evidently constructed as a liminal/sacred space. Its purpose? Dunno.

On what grounds is it asserted to be the first such?

I have particular problems with the assertion made in the article that cultural changes predated changes in settlement/husbandry. There’s so often this assumption when creating History that… Then… A Miracle Happened. The Nommo came and showed the humans how to farm, maybe.

I tend to think that people preoccupied with bare survival had insufficient time and safety to gaze at herds of gazelles in their Garden Of Eden.

Only once some degree of mastery over Nature was achieved could they spare the time, and escape being eaten for long enough, to start making marks upon the world, be they mounds, carvings, cave art, or Silbury Hill.

Haven’t read the second article yet, but definitely looks a bit less White Guy biased.

Nice shares, thanks @GKH

1 Like

That would make some sense as regards Peter Warlow and the Flood…

“Then you must read the “Reversing Earth” you can call me a nut but planetary migration theory has been coming under much more scrutiny recently… the catalyst was “Venus” you see…and other sources/voices have been heard regarding the existence of “Flood” myths on several different continents (and that is known references only of-course), … (there is also a claim that “noah” “noa” “no” -roots words of “gnosis”- , are truly ancient terms signifying one who “knew” what was going to happen -such references extant on the different continents-, … in other words, “the knower”), the fossil and geological evidence Warlow sites are compelling (whales fossilised vertically for instance), … there is interesting Egyptian reference… that, anyway I’m spoiling the story…”…

“In the myths (some of it in early script or pictogram), the astronomical references are descriptive of the particular phenomena which make the most sense in the scenario Warlow depicts, it’s marvellous…”…

“The subtlety being the “must form coherence” imperative (evident I say), or; “if such and such, such and such must follow…””

venus-pentagram-formed-by-each-venus-transit-over-the-sun-as-seen-from-earth

Part of a long discussion with “SinisterBert” on the Lifeboat.

Esp re: Hittites and Indus/Saraswati cultures/civilisations see thread; ““the most striking expansions within Z93 occurring approximately 4,000 to 4,500 years ago”. This is remarkable, because roughly 4,000 years ago is when the Indus Valley civilization began falling apart. (There is no evidence so far, archaeologically or otherwise, to suggest that one caused the other; it is quite possible that the two events happened to coincide.)”…

""Hittite, member of an ancient Indo-European people who appeared in Anatolia at the beginning of the 2nd millennium bce; by 1340 bce they had become one of the dominant powers of the Middle East.

Probably originating from the area beyond the Black Sea, the Hittites first occupied central Anatolia, making their capital at Hattusa (modern Boğazköy). Early kings of the Hittite Old Kingdom, such as Hattusilis I (reigned c. 1650–c. 1620 bce), consolidated and extended Hittite control over much of Anatolia and northern Syria. Hattusilis’ grandson Mursilis I raided down the Euphrates River to Babylon, putting an end (c. 1590 bce) to the Amorite dynasty there. After the death of Mursilis, a dynastic power struggle ensued, with Telipinus finally gaining control about 1530 bce. In the noted Edict of Telipinus, long upheld by succeeding generations, he attempted to end lawlessness and to regulate the royal succession." Hittite | Definition, History, Achievements, & Facts | Britannica

Over two thousand years later S…"

https://members5.boardhost.com/xxxxx/thread/1629892515.html

There is more for both Hittite and Sanskrit produced root words for English.

GobekliTepe6

Nb. Rhis you will note (on the Lifeboat), that Hancock gets “slagged” from the get go!

https://www.everythingselectric.com/product/the-reversing-earth/

More controversially (if such a thing were possible), others (such as the originator of the theory Velikovsky), identify Venus/Aphrodite as being the catalyst for at least four Bronze Age catastrophes (too late for the Flood). I’m familiar with the Warlow and am convinced by the basic theory, I have an open mind with regards to more, highly recommended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97UTpEdnMOo (see esp. -to start with- 4mins 30 secs in), …

Also: https://www.sis-group.org.uk/

#AtlantisRising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW7VLrOCv5k

1 Like

Okay… have found a copy of Warlow on eBay :grin:

@GKH What is Z93?

… It seems to be some ‘haplogroup’ (a cluster of Y chromosomes of similar type). Would presumably indicate relatedness, not central to the discussion I guess.

Yes but I don’t know…the whole linguistics things doesn’t seem to hold up…any help anyone?

See the vids…you won’t regret buying a copy (wow your friends a neighbours!), …