5 Filters

40C Cities

With regard to the ULEZ in London now being extended out to the M25, the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, is the Chairman of an organisation called C40 Cities. If interested you can find it here…

97 major cities all around the world are part of C40 Cities, and they are all going to do exactly what Sadiq Khan is now doing in London, all under the guise of the ‘climate crisis’ (ie, they are going to completely destroy these cities). Smaller cities and towns are getting ‘15 minute zones’, and once again this is happening worldwide (one of the few exceptions is Russia).

I think the electric car stuff is a blind. Most people can’t afford the cost of an electric car, let alone the contradictions and impracticability of running one; not to mention the fact that power grids don’t have the capability to cope with a vast number of electric vehicles.

In my humble opinion they don’t want people driving vehicles, and they want to herd everyone into these zones in towns and cities, where you’ll be under constant surveillance and your freedom of movement will be severely restricted. The police state they are rolling out is now starting to happen at breakneck speed.

Here’s a 10 minute primer on it…

1 Like

In a similar vein, at a time when many people are starving and freezing to death, those nice people in the government want to prevent people from burning wood to keep warm. It’s the climate crisis, innit…

I’ve been engaged in wood-burning (and extensive tree-planting and tree-worship) for many years. As also in the designing and building of many versions of high-efficiency wood-burning stoves. (See my welder-burn scars!! :slight_smile: )

Modern rocket stoves (search for Erika and Ernie Wisner, Peter van den Berg, and Braudio, all on YT, for in-depth high-quality information*) are as unpollutive and ultra-clean burning and ultra-fuel-economical as anything on the market; and all developed by grass-roots tinkerers, since there’s no big money in it.

On the assumption that Peak Everything/the Long Descent are going to take away our current enslavement to fossil-hydrocarbon energy sources over this century, one of the few actually-practicable alternative sources of replacement fuels is Sun-driven biomass - mainly meaning wood, of course. (Forget the hallucinations: ‘renewables’ will be niche-providers at best; fusion will remain permanently “twenty years in the future”; and fission-nuclear - even its rising generation of Russian nuclear-waste-eater designs - can only do so much, because electricity is only one, and not even the main, energy form that we use.)

I expect that we shall experience by the end of this century a number of developments which will make wood-fuel a major concern again in many places world-wide.

Our numbers will be falling - spontaneously - by then; loony-hararoid startrekkytechietechie will be in full retreat; and forests, with the many benefits they offer over and above just timber, will be a big coming thing again. (I know, I know: sounds like a lost-it old fart’s daft wishful thinking. But - erm - not so fast…)

I think that we can expect urban life to be on the shrink again by then, as more and more bodies are required in the country, to tend the permaculture eco-forests - and all their essential animal denizens of course - which will be one of the willy-nilly reliable sources of our necessities, as hitech industrialism shrinks away into history. (Can you imagine how to run a modern hitech society when copper - for just one of many examples - is as expensive, scarce and energy- and capital-costly to produce as gold and silver? Electricity and copper are practically non-separable siamese-twins…)

I leave it to your imaginations to mull the huge socio-political reorganisations which these upheavals will mandate on human communities: big!

But I imagine that what Jim Kunstler always calls ‘walkable urban spaces’ - that’s to say: towns where all of life’s basic needs are within reach of a moderate walk or a shortish bike/leccytaxi ride - will be not just inescapable, but will turn out to be a very superior way to do town-life, to boot; just as it was a hundred years or so ago.

Don’t panic about the fifteen-minute towns. It’s the way things are obliged to go now. And - done right, which is to say with grass-roots spontaneity in control - it will prove to be a definite improvement - very - on the huge car-enthralled anthills so many of us live in now.

*Beware! When researching rocket-stoves on YT, take care to be very discriminating. These days it’s simply awash with vids posted by people who clearly have zero grasp of the basic physics principles on which genuine rocket-stoves operate, and whose vids are exclusively about cargo-cult, vaguely-lookalike, but definitely not the real thing ‘rocket stoves’.

Any time you see an alleged rocket with no insulation around the burn-path, forget it at once. That isn’t - can’t physically be - a real rocket, with all the extraordinary benefits that they offer.

PS: Properly-designed, real rocket stoves produce only carbon-dioxide and water-vapour (plus small amounts of valuable mineral ash) at the exhaust stack. And we’re beginning to see now that the panic about greenhouse gases is - perhaps - a bit overstated. When we burn wood, we do what forests and grasslands are doing all the time: taking part in the Earth’s natural, perpetual - and compared to human activities, simply vast - carbon and water cycles, passing constantly between soils, oceans and atmosphere.

1 Like

Rhis, I’m fascinated to hear about rocket stoves. In my neck of the woods the main form of heating is wood burning. If those nice people in the government tried to ban that there’d be a riot before (the French) lunchtime.

We will have to agree to disagree on what they are doing to towns and cities.

You purposely refer to a certain event as 11th September; which of course is known as 9/11; and of course 911 is the emergency call number in America. A bit of a coincidence, non?

Point being, that for bods like me there’s obviously nefarious stuff going on with the likes of 40C Cities.

1 Like

Oh I wouldn’t disagree for a moment that something disreputably anti-democratic is going on with the travel-restrictions being imposed - without consultation - on the Brit cities mentioned.

That’s all part of the gics’ push to get us all corralled into draconian control, as they see the wheels coming off current arrangements - because of the non-dodgeable, non-negotiable disciplines of PeakEverything/LongDescent.

If people like me can see that coming, so can at least the more reality-connected of the gics, and their technocrat gophers. I don’t imagine they’re all as delusional as ‘the crazies in the basement’ in Washington.

The good news, though - less-bad news really - is that their plots and conspiracies will fail and founder, because we as a species are confronting natural powers of reality which are simply well beyond our control, now or ever.

The kind of re-thought, re-fashioned towns of which people like Jim Kunstler and I dream will happen inevitably, since neither we nor the gics who imagine that they can control us have any power to prevent or even divert the supra-human natural processes that are shepherding us into the world that will grow itself naturally after hitech industrialism has faded into history, and eventually into legend.

Faded for lack of a whole range of key materials which it absolutely cannot continue without. But we, humans, will survive. And, perforce, we shall make all the necessary, unavoidable adjustments.

And yes indeed, one of them - again perforce - will be walkable settlements. Think of Firenze (aka ‘Florence’) five hundred years ago. Was that an intolerable hell-hole, despite being, of necessity, a walkable city? Or was it, as largely the Old Town still is, a gem of European civilisation…? A city that can produce - for just two of many examples - Michelangelo’s two great marble figures at the entrance to Il Palazzo Vecchio in the Piazza della Signoria?

We have to discriminate between the global Belsens into which the gics would herd us, and the marvellous cities which common human creativity has made in so many places during the less industrialised past. Which do you think that we - the pleb majority - will insist on having…? “Ye are many - they are few!”

@RhisiartGwilym . Like @RobG I too use wood as a primary source of heating like so many of the local community. Two of my immediate neighbours still use their little patch of woodland where they cut and collect firewood. Like all fuels, the cost of wood has risen noticeably coming into this winter especially with many making the switch from oil to wood or at least to using wood as the primary source and oil as secondary.

I have an expensive wood burner but would still be really interested in some links to building a rocket stove avoiding the ‘cargo cult’ clan.

1 Like

Pat, the four experts - the genuine, experienced, time-served article, that is - whom I named in my post above in this thread offer a wealth of nitty-gritty information, which will take any student of (real) rocket stoves a good while to digest. I endorse them highly. They know their stuff, having spent years actually installing rocket systems for clients, and are up there with Larry Winiarski and Ianto Evans, the original pioneers of the basic idea of rocket stoves for poor peasants in fuel-poor situations.

On YT, you can find a vid of Erika and Ernie sitting in their cottage in the Okanagan Highlands in Oregon explaining the performance of their rocket there, which heats the whole house.

Strikingly, if you’re feeling supply pressure, Erika says at one point that since they installed the rocket they’ve gone from using - from memory - four cords of wood per heating season to about half a cord!

That sort of simply astonishing fuel economy is often remarked by people who are using genuine rockets, built according to the basic physical principles which Larry worked out at Aprovecho research labs something like forty years ago now.

Another mine of information - including CD sets giving extensive information on the matter - is Paul Wheaton at Permies.com.

Peter van den Berg has a dedicated YT channel with masses of material. He too is wholly on top of the theory, and has lately created another big leap forward in rocket stoves with his batch-box burners, and his development of the ‘port’ structure between the primary and secondary burn compartments of his rockets. Peter’s constant testing, and his grasp of combustion physics, makes him a worthy successor of Larry, who died recently. He knows his stuff in depth. He also has his own website, which bulges with high-grade nitty-gritty inf on making rockets.

Rockets are easy to build, if you’re a mucky-handed practical person, with some basic workshop facilities. Note in particular that when they’re running properly - because they’re built according to sound principles - the temperature in the secondary part of the flue-path can reach 1200 C or more (sic!), which means that the secondary part of the path should be exclusively built of high-temperature refractory material, which also needs to be a light-weight insulative material too. Insulation is a critical key to - proper - rockets, which is why so many of the cargo-cult pretend rockets on YT never reach the full, high-efficiency working temperatures, which literally burn up all the fuel-gases and burnable particulates - aka smoke - that are normally lost to the atmosphere in less efficient wood stoves. This also makes them unusually clean-burning, of course, since ALL the fuel is burnt before the flue gases exit the exhaust stack.

One consequence of this is that you can’t use steel for the interior lining material in the flue-path, at least not in the secondary-burn part of the path, because it will spall quickly under the extreme heat stresses, and will even in some cases actually melt! It’s this basic fact which will allow you to sort the YT vids into those where the posters actually know their stuff, and those who are just know-nothing band-waggon-jumping cargo-cultist. Uninsulated, all-steel ‘rockets’ are a joke! Don’t get drawn in.

If you’re considering a dual-purpose rocket, for both cooking and home-heating, you’ll need an RMH - a rocket mass-heater system. The standard form that began it all is the the Ianto Evans style heat-store cob/masonry bench set beside the stove itself, and through which the hot gases are lead.

If you’re ever near the truly extraordinary Cae Mabon village, on the opposite shore of LLyn Padarn across from LLanberis in Gwynedd, Cymru Gogledd, you can see one of Ianto’s early RMHs in the cob cottage that he built their for the guy who created Cae Mabon, and who still runs it: my old buddy Eric Maddern. I’ve lit that particular RMH several times, and I can testify what an astonishing job it does at heating the cottage on next-to-no fuel…

But note that lately, an alternative form which has some extra advantages is the heat-store masonry ‘bell’ - which see. Several vids speak of them. Paul W has some enlightening vids about that.

Just these few leads will keep serious seekers of practical knowledge about - real - rockets busy for quite a while. Lots to digest, lots to tinker with in your workshop…

1 Like

I’d be interested if @KarenEliot has further views on this…

Needless to say, I’ve lived outside of the UK for decades now, yet I am familiar with south east England - I was born in the Old Kent Road; I have tyre marks down my back to prove it.

I find all these city zones a bit concerning, particularly since they are pushing through Digital ID and Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) without really letting the public know what’s going on, and the implications of it.

If the psychos manage to implement CBDC we are all fecked.

I should also add that this stuff is happening at an alarming rate all across the Western world.

1 Like

I posted a few weeks back, but watched the whole video (which is pretty good) to see if the plans have been updated - seemingly not.

The twee narrow streets that the interviewer strolls along at the beginning are all within the City wall (what’s left of it). Quite a decent part of this area is car-free and has been for a long time.

The scene at 1:30-ish shows part of the ring road with the City wall on the left. The traffic is flowing quite well in the video. (Which has been filmed from a footbridge that leads away from the Canterbury East station. That’s on the main London to Ramsgate line.) That’s the least worst part of the ring road which can be horrendous at certain times of day, and features some very exciting roundabouts that demand a firm right foot.

At 5:20 the interviewer briefly passes by the bus station. You can get to this using free Park & Ride from the City outskirts (the ‘park’ part is not free, but reasonable - about one-third the price of car parks in the centre). There’s a good one at Wincheap, in the pink zone (see below).

Public transport is fairly well integrated in Canterbury, there are bus lanes on the busy routes and plenty of cycle lanes.

During the college and University terms the population of the City swells enormously but most of these folks are using public transport.

I’m dubious that the scheme is needed, and would question why certain areas, where the working class live, might be being targeted. None of those areas were shown in the video, which focuses on the area that is already traffic-calmed. (The red zone in the photo above)

People who commute into Canterbury might be penalised. Lots of people are employed in education, as I was, but cannot afford to live in Canterbury. My last boss, for example, commutes in from Ramsgate. She’d have to adjust the route she drives to enter only the yellow zone.

I don’t know who came up with this one. It’s a bit like a Monty Python sketch. Ohh, the Chinese balloon, brought to you by MIC bods who continue to steal trillions of dollars from American tax payers.

Ohh, the Chinese balloon. Get ready to be very afraid (cue the Outer Limits theme music)…

1 Like

KarenEliot, I hope you can keep us informed of events in Canterbury, because one way or the other it has ramifications for us all.

In the meantime I’ll get back to the ‘Canterbury mob’, which I have posted about before. Kevin Ayers and Insane Times, followed by a very young Mike Oldfield and a piece from Tubular Bells, which became the theme song for The Exorcist movie; perhaps appropriate in our present times. It all came out of Canterbury back in the 1970s. By the way, following all the fame and fortune, Mike Oldfield had a complete nervous breakdown and fled to the Welsh hills. As far as I know he’s still there…

By the by, I’d rather just give links here, so that people have a choice if they want to listen to the music I’m banging on about. Problem with this board is, links are automatically turned into embeds.

I’m not sure this adds all that much to the discussion but the Pentagon SpokesDroid certainly didn’t. “We can’t get into that”, “I’d prefer not to comment on that”, “I’m not gonna add anything”.

This website will likely be hosting the guest articles that would have been hosted on Saker, by March 2023 if not before.